The Special Collection Room on the third floor of the Decatur Library houses materials by and about DeKalb County and its citizens, DeKalb County governmental activities, and Georgia history and genealogy. Because of the special nature of this collection, these items are for in-library use only. Sign in at the Third Floor Service Desk.
City directories (some in print and some on microfilm) dating back to 1928 are currently at the Reference Desk on the 2nd floor.
The following materials are on microfilm:
- Early local, state and area newspapers
- Census records -- 1820-1920 for Georgia
- Sanborn maps for Georgia
- Savannah Passenger Lists for 1906-1945.
- A variety of resources of interest to those doing research is on microfiche, including:
- Georgia Death Index 1919-1993 (1994-1999 on CD-Rom)
- Georgia Marriage Register 1964-1992
- Georgia Divorce Register 1965-1992
- Decatur Cemetery records for 1837-1979.